Pages

    Search more stories

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Man who became an author at age 98 reveals a secret: He couldn't read or write until age 90

|
Source: CNN


A fisherman's tale about life without an education

 In the Human Factor, we profile survivors who have overcome the odds. Confronting a life obstacle – injury, illness or other hardship – they tapped their inner strength and found resilience they didn't know they possessed. This week, we introduce you to a 98-year old lobster-boat captain from Mystic, Connecticut, who had a secret for nearly 90 years. He shares his story of learning to read in his 90's and then becoming an author. 

My name is James Arruda Henry. I go by the name of James Henry because I have been incognito for most of my life. They called my father Big Henry when I was young.

Back then, everybody had a nickname. We kids went by the name of Arruda until we were more or less called Henry all the time and the name just stuck.

I have also been incognito for most of my life because I was always hiding the fact that I couldn’t read or write. My father was an alcoholic and really mean. He pulled me and my brother out of school when we were real small because he wanted us to work for him.

To read rest of the story visit >> CNN


Do you like this story?


Popular Posts